Between approximately 1949 and the early 1980s, this property was used as a junkyard and gravel pit. In 1967, the former owner purchased 3,000 containers of pesticide mixture (99.5% kerosene, 0.5% dieldrin). The site was contaminated with dieldrin, metals, petroleum, and explosives.
The Town became the owner through Tax Title and retained Fuss & O’Neill to perform environmental assessment activities, a charette-style workshop with stakeholders to identify reuse alternatives, Licensed Site Professional services, remediation design, oversight of the U.S. EPA-funded Brownfields Cleanup Grant, and documentation of soil removal activities. Post-remediation monitoring is ongoing.